Monday, May 31, 2010

Memory Lane

I hope you all will stay with me as my heart takes a walk down memory lane.

My memory starts twenty seven years ago when I met this really cute engineering student.
We fell in love!
A year later we were married.
One week before we met, Rich signed some important papers.
These papers enrolled him in a Naval program called
NUPOC (nuclear propulsion officer candidate).
After graduating from Montana State University, Rich started his
career as a Navy officer.

Let's fast forward a few years...

After moving five different times for different schools he had to attend,
Rich received orders to the USS Henry L. Stimson (a ballistic submarine).
We found ourselves living in Charleston, South Carolina.
After a stellar three year tour he received orders to NR1.
At that time NR1 was the Navy's only nuclear powered deep submersible submarine.
I have so many wonderful memories from this incredible time in our lives
and would not trade one moment of them for anything!

Are you still with me here?

Good!

He has stories, I have stories and together we have stories!
But since this is my blog I get to share one of my memories!

I remember the first time I watched as his sub pull away from the pier.
I had tears streaming down my face.
It would be a long time before we would see each other again.
We would not be able to communicate with each at all.
I had NO idea where he was going (it was classified).
I had never experienced this unknown before.

I can tell you, even though my heart was full of the unknown
and truth be told I was a little fearful.

I was so proud of my husband and his commitment to serve our nation!

Like I said before we would not trade this time in our life for anything!
It was full of adventure.
It was full of the unknown (all the time)
It was full of long separations.
It was full of great homecomings.
It was full of moves.
It was full of great wonderful friends.

It was a full life!


Now, I would like to take a moment here and
thank all of those wonderful people who haved served and
those who are still serving in our armed forces.

THANK YOU!

You and your families sacrifice so much for all of us.
I am humbled by your choice to serve...again I thank you!

~Nancy~

5 comments:

  1. Blessings to you and your hubby! Please thank him for serving our country. What sweet memories you have-thank you for sharing.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son in law is now serving in the Navy. He is stationed at St. Marys Ga. on a nuclear sub.
    I thank your husband for his service and thank you for sharing your memories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank your husband for his service to our country and to your family for allowing him to serve. I know it is so hard for military famiies.
    LOve the USA!!

    wags
    Jazzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, touching, kind, worthy post!!!!! I loved it!! Rich is one lucky guy to have you by his side. What a special tribute for him. God bless our service men and women whose days begin and end with a lot of worry. Thanks for reminding us of what they do for us. Enjoy your beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen Sista!~Thank you to your husband for his service and to all those out there serving...

    ReplyDelete